Demolition officially began on Thursday, August 15. This was after paying Alexandria $2,117 for the construction permit. It is exciting watching the process unfold. The dumpster was delivered on August 14 amidst challenges. A dangling Verizon telephone wire precluded the large truck from backing into my small space. I volunteered to stand atop the cab and use a piece of wood to lift it. The driver got a kick out of that. Eventually, the dumpster found its way to the back of my property. As of last night, it has already been filled with one full load.
Construction Company: Advanced Construction Group in Old Town Alexandria. Great guys, well organized, accessible and after a 2 hour pre-construction meeting recently, I knew I was in great hands for this five month process.
My mom, a/k/a Project Manager from here forward, arrived from Bluffton SC 2 weeks ago. She has lost 14 pounds already, blaming me for starving her and climbing the stairs 30 times a day, walking to the Post Office daily to pick up my mail. By her account, she estimates a 40 pound weight loss by December!
Who knew picking our fixtures could be so fun...and expensive? I have "invested" in two Japanese Toto toilets, dual flush, wall mount. Space saver, efficient and way cool. Never mind my toilet allowance was $200 per toilet... I won't even tell you how much they cost but I do recall that the toiilet seat was actually an additional cost. Really?
My home office has been officially been moved from the "shack-in-the-back" (area demolished already) to the back bedroom. Much better!!
Next step: the water will be turned off and I should expect some cold showers but not for long. The dishwasher, dryer and stove are now resting in my dining room. The frig is being donated to make room for a new one and I bought a college dorm size frig from Craig's List for $40 ! My mom is already freaking out because that means even less food in the house!
Here is another reason to hire an architect: my permit was being held up at City Hall, due to the self-importance one official had placed on himself. Left to me, I would have jeapordized the process by getting very angry. Kim, my architect, was at City Hall waiting for this guy to come to work. He made sure the permit was granted and done so before he left. It still delayed the start date by 4 days. All is good though.
I'm so excited about the process, my private life, my upcoming Ironman Triathlon and even my hair is looking good these days (but only when it gets a blow-out). I am so blessed to have such great friends & family.
Next installment: the addition is taking shape. Stay tuned!



No comments:
Post a Comment